Saturday 25 September 2010

Spirit Walk

After interviewing Mayor Dave we were free to be tourists in Moab, so that evening we drove up into mountains to see just a little of what makes the place so magical. Every corner we turned unveiled a more beautiful scene than the last. Monoliths of stunning red rock towered before us resulting in dropped jaws and sounds of awe. We had little over an hour to make our of destination, a mile and half climb up to see and experience what the native Americans and the people of Utah hold so close to their hearts. It was a moderate climb with every step a pleasure. As I neared the top voices carried on the wind told me I was close. I had to navigate a small path with a high rock face to my right and a shear drop my left, as I turned the corner about 50 people sat up on a ridge with there backs to me and cameras in hand. I climbed the ridge among them and there before me stood the Delicate Arch in all it’s glory. I moved my way to the front to set up my cameras in readiness for the last moments of sunlight. What happened next was the by far the most wonderful thing I’ve ever witnessed. Something you can only witness for pictures and words could never do it justice. A Sunset followed by a moonrise on either side of the arch with valleys and mountains as it’s backdrop. I only wished I was alone...for a few brief moments I felt I was.



Most folk had gone back down before the moonrise, only us and a few stragglers remained to navigate our way down with the moonshine to guide us as we reflected upon what we saw.
Beep Beep BEEEEP..... the alarm wakes us an hour before sunrise. We make our way back up the mountains to try and capture a bit of what we saw last night. Beautiful though it was we couldn’t get our self's into a good spot to see it in full effect. So we decided to move on.   
“Good luck with your trip” said Mayor Dave as we were buying supplies from his store. Tell Dave Gorman that Walmart are still not in Moab! “Something he’ll be pleased to hear I’m sure” I replied. With that said we headed east.
It took a while for Colorado to win me over after Moab. but as we started to climb higher and higher and as the pine trees started to thicken and the clouds began to drop along with the temperature it had done just that. We passed through Aspen followed by Frisco both waiting for the snow to fall and the Skiing to start. We went deeper into the Rockies in search of final destination for the day, Cripple Creek.
Light Chaser

No comments:

Post a Comment