Thursday 30 September 2010

God is Love!

As we approached Niland I could see Salvation Mountain from a few miles away.
The vibrant colours painted onto the adobe clay was as I had seen many times in pictures, but the heat was unbearable.
Leonard Knight who’s now 82 has spent the last twenty years of his life creating the mountain to spread the word of Gods love.  Before that he had taken three years making a large hot air balloon with the same words “God Is Love” but that plan failed and he had the idea to just squat on the mountain and paint.
I wish that I had come to meet up with Leonard  ten years earlier, because I’d say that all that hot sweltering sun must have had some effect on him, as his answers to our questions had sort of the same answer, “Gods Love Is Universal”.
Not being a religous kind myself, but I really liked Leonard and he was very generous with his time with all visitors that drove up to his mountain and offered to show them around. he had a big heart and that’s all that matters to me...
We gave him some cash and I checked if he needed me to get him anything from the grocery store three miles away (he has not left the mountain in twenty years), but he said “I have everything right here”.
Thank you Leonard and God bless you too!



No comments:

Post a Comment