Thursday 30 September 2010

Just A Big Hole!

After leaving Texas we headed into New Mexico following old route 66 which gave us chance to see and get a feel what it use to be like before the freeway replaced it. We spent little time in New Mexico which was a shame as I felt there is a lot to see and experience, another trip me thinks!

On our way into Arizona we stopped of at Four Corners before heading to Flagstaff where we were to stay a couple of nights. Flagstaff was stunning! Set in the middle of a forest and keeping a small town vibe but still an exciting place with plenty to do and see. While we were here we were tourists and another one of natures creations waited for us, The Grand Canyon!

Natures big dusty rocky hole failed to impress me at first. I expected a big WOW moment when I first laid my eyes upon it..... but I didn't. We went to a few of the viewing vistas before getting settled at Yaki point for the sunset, which was much more impressive and beautiful but still no WOW. You hear stories and watch documentaries of a place and your expectations rise high and is often the case where the real thing fails to deliver. After sunset most of the people left and it became quiet, the last of the sun light beginning to turn to darkness. I stood on the very edge of a rock with a 40ft drop to some more rocks below and looked out into the vast expanse before me. The wind picked up blocking out all other sounds and then the moment arrived. I was once again in awe.
After a stop off for lunch at Cooperstown in Phoenix we left Arizona and back into California where we were to be "loved by God" which Steve has told you all about below.

No comments:

Post a Comment